No matter what kind of project you have in mind, you should speak with an architect at the earliest stage of the design process. Architects have the education, training, experience and vision to maximize your construction dollar and ease the entire design and construction process.
The best way to begin a new project is for you to reflect on what you bring to it: knowledge, experience, needs, desires, aspirations, and personal opinions. You also provide the resources to realize your expectations. Design and construction are inherently exciting! There are few things more satisfying than a successful project. The secret to success lies in the professional, business, and personal relationships between owner and architect.
The Project Process
Naturally, every owner starts from a different outlook. Some have had vast experience with design and construction and know what they want and how to go about getting it. Many owners have much less experience. Whatever your situation, it makes sense to begin with some self-examination to assess what you already know about your project and what you will establish with your architect’s help. The questions outlined below can serve as a guide. You don’t need firm or complete answers to these questions at this point. Indeed, we will help you think them through.
Ask Yourself These Questions
• What type of building are you thinking of – primary home, vacation home, office, restaurant, etc?
• Do you have specific ideas on the rooms and square footage areas of the project? If not, we can help you define the scope of your project.
• Do you already own a site or a building to renovate? If not, do you need help evaluating properties?
• What are your motivations, both basic and high-minded? What gets you really excited about this project?
• How do you make decisions? How much information do you need to make decisions?
• Have you and those with whom you are talking fixed a construction schedule and budget? How do you anticipate financing the design and construction of the project?
• How much experience do you have in design and construction? Have you done this before? If so, where have you been most successful, and where were you disappointed?